ABSTRACT: According to a source at the Carmel Post Office, the U.S. Postal Service has mandated that the Carmel Post Office update Post Office Box applications due to a new computer system. About a month ago, the Carmel Postmaster began sending letters to Post Office Boxholders. The “Updating PO Box application” letters are being sent in staggered groups beginning with Post Office Box 1 and will be sent to Carmel Post Office Boxholders until all approximately 4900 Carmel Post Office Boxholders are notified. The “Updating PO Box application” letter is transcribed; the letter includes a PLEASE RETURN BY date. A COMMENT is made regarding methods of compliance.
Herewith is the POSTMASTER, CARMEL, “Updating PO Box application” letter:
Updating PO Box application
CARMEL BY THE SEA
DOLORES ST & 5TH AVE
CARMEL, CA 93921
A recent review of our Post Office Box records revealed that the information on your application needs to be updated.
Please complete the attached application and return it to the Post Office with 2 forms of identification, one ID must contain a photograph of the applicant. The following are acceptable:
1. Valid driver’s license or state non-driver’s identification card.
2. Armed forces, government, university, or recognized corporate identification card.
3. Passport, alien registration cards, or certificate of naturalization.
4. Current lease, mortgage or deed of trust.
5. Vehicle registration certificate.
6. Home or vehicle insurance policy.
Proof of residency (phone bill, PG & E bill, bank statement are acceptable)
(STATE PROPERTY TAX OR DEED OF TRUST).
PROOF OF BUSINESS. (BUSINESS LICENSE)
The identification presented must be current and traceable to the bearer. Other adult persons receiving mail at the box must also present 2 items of identification. Minor’s names and ages must be listed on the application in order to receive mail. Refusal to furnish required information may be sufficient reason to discontinue service. (PLEASE RETURN BY ______________________________)
Thank you in advance for your patience and prompt response.
• Enclosed with the “Updating PO Box application” letter and application is a postage paid envelope addressed to the Carmel Post Office. Carmel Post Office Boxholders can either complete the application, go in person to the Post Office and show the required items of identification OR complete the application, make copies of the required items of identification and place them in the envelope and mail ASAP.