Thursday, May 08, 2014

21st Annual Carmel Art Festival 2014 Featuring Sixty Plein Air Artists

WHAT: Carmel-by-the-Sea Plein Air Juried Painting Competition, Silent Auction & Art Sale Venue
Event Schedule

WHEN: Thursday, May 15 – Sunday, May 18, 2014

WHERE: Devendorf Park & Mission Street, Carmel-by-the-Sea, California

WHO: Sixty Juried Artists
Note: Links to Artists' websites and selected excerpts from Artist Statements and Biographies.

Education
    1972 - 1975
    Study under Russian Master Alexandre
Tehran, Iran
    1967 - 1972
    Kamal-al-Molk Art Institute
Tehran, Iran
    Fine Arts
    - Advanced Study of Drawing in various Media, s.a. Pencil, Charcoal
    - Extensive Work in the areas of Landscape, Still-life, Portrait and Life-model

    - Main focus on Oil-Painting in different styles
    - Main focus on Oil-Painting in different styles
Rolando Barrero (Watercolor)
Rolando Barrero is an award winning watercolor artist. He has been active in competitive plein air paint outs and juried shows in the Bay Area. He started painting in watercolor since his college years when he also began consulting in architectural and interior renderings using watercolor which is the ideal medium. To brace himself in current trend of watercolor painting, he had intensive sessions with David Taylor, Alvaro Castagnet, Thomas Schaller and Joseph Zbukvic who are all International Masters in Watercolor.
Stacy Barter's oil paintings depict her intense fascination with light and atmosphere. "I am constantly striving to capture depth and dimension in my oil paintings. Working from life, whether it's from flowers or a model is exhilarating and ever changing."  "This is my passion, life dedication and contribution".
She resides in Orlando, Florida with her husband Terry and teaches workshops and is on Senior Faculty with Crealde' School of Art in Winter Park.
Stacy Barter Painting Demonstration [HD]
Californian Impressionist
Brian Blood, a resident of Pebble Beach, California, is widely recognized as one of California’s most important plein air impressionist artists.

Brenda Boylan, PSA, NPS (Pastels & Oil Paintings)
Pastel & Oil Paintings
Saturated Representation
Artist Statement
Painting is my refuge and my source. It is where I lose myself and find myself, again. As I layer pigment down in the form of pastel or oil, I am transformed to another level of consciousness, much like meditation, where I develop a joyful, poetic conversation with my subject. Each painting measures another step in my journey as an artist that often results in a never ending discovery of my visual world.  Working both outdoors and in my studio provides room to communicate color relationships, light, and form. This desire to create and interpret what I see around me is a gift, a treasure, and the roadmap to my best and truest self.
ART Elements Gala opening-artist talk, Brenda Boylan.

Carl Bretzke is a representational painter who specializes in urban scenes and plein-aire landscapes.  Carl's work has been exhibited extensively in Minnesota and California, including the Minneapolis Institute of Art.
Creating leads to discovery and self awareness
Pati Bruce was born and raised in South Texas and has always had a passion for drawing and painting and a fascination with color.
Fine Art Watercolors
Larry Cannon is a watercolor artist whose work is focused primarily on the landscapes and seascapes of California. Many of his landscapes are painted en plein air where the subtleties of light and color are inspirations which he uses to infuse the paintings with a unique sense of place and moment.
Hiu Lai Chong finds her painting inspiration at local marinas and shorelines along the beautiful Chesapeake Bay. She loves painting from life and enjoys using vivid colors and sensitive brush strokes to express mood and feeling in her work. 

Pan Yen Chou (Oil)
The artist is a signature member of the Oil Painters of America, a signature member of the Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters, the American Plein Air Artists, the Laguna Plein Air Painters Association, and the Carmel Art Association

Robin Rogers Cloud (Oil & Watercolor)
Robin Rogers Cloud is a national known Plein Air painter and Associate Professor of Art Saddleback College.
Robin is native Californian, born in Pasadena. She comes from a Californian ranching family and is related to Will Rogers.
Terrific Way to Teach Art
Personal Statement:
I am primarily a landscape artist, although I enjoy painting many different subjects including portraits and figurative, animals, still life, rural landscapes, boats, and urban scenes.  I think my work differs from that of other artists because of the influence and instruction I received from my father.  As a child, I loved to sit and watch him work on his illustrations, and would often pose for him.  He would let me look through his art books and by the time I was a teenager, we had long discussions on art and artists.  He showed me the works of master artists Degas, Lautrec, Sargent, Sorolla, and Zorn (to name a few). Frequent visits to the Art Institute provided me the opportunity to study these and other great painters. This strong foundation in drawing and painting, and exploring the works of fine art masters has been the most important element in my journey and quest to becoming a "painter of life".

Paris-born, Portland-based artist Aimee Erickson is an oil painter in the realist tradition.
"My interest lies in the essence of things, in the beauty of nature, and in cycles of consciousness. My paintings include all sorts of subject matter--figures, landscape, still life--with draughtsmanship and design as a foundation."
MAC Mural Project
My interest in subject matter is not limited to just the landscape, I also paint still-life, architecture and figures.

Terri Ford (Pastel)
"My pastel paintings are rendered in representational and
impressionistic style. Not meant to be clever or symbolic,
my work is a personal and human response to the subject.
Whether loose or tightly rendered I strive to convey an honest
and compassionate portrayal of all that I paint. My interest
lies in creating paintings that reflect the extraordinary character within the ordinary."
Stuart Fullerton grew up in north central Wisconsin and studied ancient Greek and Latin at Harvard College.  After a year studying archeology in Greece and Turkey, he returned to Harvard for law school. 
Today Stuart works and paints in Chicago.  He is a long-time member of the Palette and Chisel Club and of the Plein Air Painters of Chicago. 
Philippe Gandiol, an award winning Northern California painter, was born and raised in France and moved to California in his early 20’s. He has painted with oils for over 25 years. 
Philippe likes to paint a variety of subjects like landscapes, cityscapes, still life and figures “en plein air” or in the studio.  He works as much as possible from life, believing that only in life can he find the full range of light and color he wants in his paintings and the spirit of his subject matter.
Philippe Gandiol, Painter from Northern California, music by Charles Aznavour
Thaleia has lived in California for over 30 years and her passion is to spend as much time as possible exploring and painting the landscape; especially the Sierra mountain regions. Her home and studio are uniquely located above 7000 feet, just below crest of the High Sierra Mountains.

Dick Gorman
Originally form southern California, contemporary landscape artist, John Brian Guernsey, moved to Georgia in 1993 for a business career, and transitioned to an art career in 2006.  Having developed his drawing skills through college courses and workshop study, he now concentrates primary on landscape painting.  Most of his work is done en plein air, or alla prima, (completing a painting in one sitting); although he is gradually increasing the output of larger studio paintings.  His work reveals a keen observance of atmosphere and light and he is inspired not only by nature, but by city life and architecture.
I paint primarily on location, since there is no substitute for being 100% "present" on the scene and taking your inspiration from the colors, atmosphere, light, sounds, smells and personal experiences from nature. I have a studio/gallery at my home in Santa Cruz, where I do larger studio paintings from these original plein air studies. I also take commissions using my smaller pieces for reference.
Artist Statement:
As a painter,  I interpret nature through my feelings and express what I see and feel.  Painting from life gives me the necessary information, taking that with me back to the studio, I can re-interpret what I saw and felt outside and tell a story on my canvas.
I hope that the viewer will relate and be uplifted by my stories.

Steve Hill (Pastel)
Windswept Studios
My passion is to find special places, both home and abroad, and explore those with every element of my psyche dialed into the joyous, expressive and interpretive language of painting on-site.
Sally spent her formative years living on the edge of a lush forest in rural Massachusetts. Nature's extremes were reflected in the beauty and sensational seasonal changes of the forest which made an indelible impression on a child who was highly sensitive to color. The onset of Sally's lifelong passion for nature and art began with her exploration of the forest.
California Impressionist
Plein air painting was becoming popular, and to deepen his knowledge of the basics, he studied with Leonardo Scarola, and eventually ventured outside with a variety of respected plein air artist instructors. Embracing the challenge and mystery of oil paint and light on a two-dimensional surface was life-changing.  The adventure, the quest, the goal was to lay something on the canvas that embodies the spirit of the scene, as well as the beauty, and in that, was the ultimate satisfaction.
Fine Art
Plein Air Landscape - Still Life - Horses
Artist Laurie Kersey loves the dramatic coastal landscape of the Monterey Peninsula that she and her artist husband, Brian Blood call home. For a painter, the West Coast offers a great deal of diversity, from sandy beaches and rocky coastlines to rolling farmland and golden hills dotted with oaks.
Natura and The Music ( Laurie Kersey - Elly Dorka ).
Central Coast Vineyard Artist
 “Though I strive for excellence in all my work, I think I enjoy the process as much as the finished product. I love to experiment and try new ways of conveying what I see. I am constantly working to improve my art. My goal is to be able to say exactly what I want on the first attempt, and to make my paintings sparkle with light and life. I most enjoy painting anything from nature, capturing the beauty of creation and the world around me.”

Rui Liang
Po Pin has won the Award of Excellent in the Oil Painters of America's national and regional exhibition in 2001 and 2002 and has been a signature member of Oil Painters of America for many years.
Po Pin Lin
Crisp, refreshing, and vivid are words that have been used to describe my paintings. The use of vibrant color and strong design are hallmarks of my work which I developed during my career as an illustrator and graphic designer.  As a lifelong resident of the Pacific Northwest, I cherish our unique landscapes honed by water and time and delight in capturing their beauty in the lush colors of pastels or oils to share with the viewer.
North SF Bay Area Fine Artist
Sergio especially enjoys discovering new vistas, setting up his easel, and creating a piece on the spot. He believes there is no better way to discover the truth and essence of a scene than by standing before it and studying it carefully. Sergio is a native of Sonoma County. He finds the area ever-inspiring, and never ceases to find a new gorgeous area no matter how often he explores.
Plein Air Gouache Painting - Sergio Lopez

Bushi Luo
Painting Themes
Plein Air - From the wharf in Monterey, the Coast Guard Pier, other harbors, etc.  these paintings are done on location.  They capture the beauty of the moment; they represent the emotions, action, and light of the moment. 

Joe Mancuso (Pastel & Oil)
"Although I may be attracted to a certain subject, it is always my goal to move beyond a
literal translation and say something special about light and color as I respond to a place
or scene".
Artist Joe Mancuso at the 2012 Los Olivos Quick Draw

Anette McGowan
"I use my art as a vehicle to communicate to a wider audience than I can via an interpretive naturalist program.  My goal is to inspire others to appreciate natural beauty to hopefully generate a sense of stewardship."  
His style is most influenced by a combination of the Hudson River School, California Impressionists and French Impressionists, and Romantics.  
Wayne Mckenzie's art emanates a laid back confidence that is a reflection of his Australian upbringing. With loose brushwork and bold use of color, he brings a unique perspective to the contemporary North American art world. Wayne's strong sense of design is derived from the Aboriginal art of his native Australia. His paintings are a visual journey that allows the essence of his subject matter to come to life.

American Artist
Artist Statement
"I paint the places I love to be. I paint the freshness of eternal nature, icy lucid streams, thunderous waterfalls, and soaring granite crests over silent lakes. I paint the descriptions of John Muir, the echoes of Ansel Adams, the American West of Albert Bierstadt and Thomas Moran. I paint luminosity filtering through the landscape, reaching to the foundation of a stream, bouncing off rocks, and illuminating the shadows.”
Painting Mount Tallac

ARTIST STATEMENT
When painting outdoors, en plein air, I must work quickly due to the changing light. Therefore I have a limited palette of four to seven colors. This orderly layout also enables me to mix clean, fresh color.
I try to find subject matter that fascinates me. Nature provides the perfect balance of shape, value and color - the three elements that I find most important in painting. It can be so satisfying and I feel blessed for that.”
Michael Obermeyer at the Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery
Born and raised in Kiev, Ukraine, Lana now calls San Francisco Bay Area home. She started her formal academic training at the age of 12 in her homeland and later continued in North America receiving MFA degree at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco.
Artist’s statement
I find the process of painting very exhausting physically, but despite all the challenges it is the most rewarding and joyous occupation.

William Rogers, CSPWC, TWSA, SCA
William (Bill) Rogers is an Elected Member of the Canadian Society of Painters in Watercolour (CSPWC) of which he is currently the President. He is also a signature member of the Transparent Watercolor Society of America (TWSA) and the Societe Canadienne de l’Aquarelle (SCA).
STATEMENT
In general, my work is about the process of creating by painting subjects that evoke a mood or feeling introspectively. I am interested in documenting things of today, mostly with overlooked or even forgotten aspects of everyday life – scenes we pass by every day, objects we often use, people we know well, but hardly ever think twice about. In the chaos of daily life, I believe we all take the simple and familiar things for granted. Sometimes they are the very things we come to miss.
Artist Statement
I have owned my own gallery, Sandidge Fine Art, in Californias scenic Gold Rush Country for the past 19 years with my wife, Jackie, who operates the gallery.  We are located in our 150 yr old Historic Building in Diamond Springs. Ca.  Our main intent is to live an "artful lifestyle" with our business and residence in one convenient location. 

David Savellano (Watercolor)
David Savellano is an artist who works primarily en plein air (outdoors), creating watercolor paintings that capture random moments—on the street, in nature, and wherever else his portable easel takes him. “I enjoy working outdoors because it’s unpredictable and lends itself to a kind of spontaneity you just can’t get in a studio,” he says.
Julia works in plein air using oils to catch the quickly changing light and shadows of the Bay Area hills where she lives. She paints the landscapes of Northern California and the rural country side of the central coast, the colors and patterns are a her source of inspiration.
Silvio I.flv

Silvio II.flv
He is a contemporary artist of the California Impressionist Style. He is known for his luminous and richly colored landscapes of the coasts, mountains and various scenes that capture his imagination. Powerful compositions, strong brushwork, a gorgeous sense of color all come together in perfect harmony, marking him is a masters of plein air painter.
Artist’s Statement
Through my artwork I strive to interpret and capture just a bit of nature’s revitalizing power. With each new painting, I hope to preserve and pass on a small taste of nature’s energy, and I am honored when others connect with my interpretation and are moved by my work.
Timon Sloane Interview - Pastel Landscape Artist

Linda Darsow Sutton, NWS, AFC, MCWA, WW (Watercolor)
National Watercolor Society, Artists for Conservation,California Watercolor Association (Master Signature Member), Watercolor West (An International Transparent Watercolor Society)
Artist’s Statement
Brought up to see color optically cultivated a personal fascination for transparent color. Attracted by the elegant atmospheric effects enhanced by light bouncing through color from the white surface, transparent watercolor became my primary medium. Still the opaque and tactile quality of oil has it’s own dynamic, having a unique impact of its own in representing qualities of light. It also can be transparent where the two qualities can interact gracefully. Regardless of which medium emerges as the most appropriate for a painting, light on the Natural Environment, Atmosphere, Water, Wildlife and a sense of instance encourage a never ending attempt to observe nature more intimately. Inspiring a relentless need to express respect for the unspoiled pieces of the natural world we have left. Figures included, humans are part of it and also must participate aggressively for our preservation.

Mary Titus (Watercolor)
Artist at work - Creativity at play
EDUCATION
·         Studied under internationally renowned artists; Valfred Thelin and Nicholas Reale.
·         Recipient of the Hilton Leech Friends of the Arts and Sciences Scholarship, and completed Edward Betts' master watercolor class.
Joaquin is highly influenced by the works of late 19th-early 20th Century Bay Area/Monterey artists, including Percy Gray, Charles Rollo Peters, Arthur Mathews, Xavier Martínez, William Ritschel, as well as many of the plein air painters active in Northern California during the early 1900's. His paintings display a fervent spirituality and his deep admiration for the unparalleled beauty of the Monterey Peninsula and the San Francisco Bay.
Artist’s Statement
In addition to capturing the scene I try to focus on the particular natural beauty of the area that connects the viewer of the artwork to the place.
Nature is a constant source of inspiration and a tough instructor for me. I am so thankful for my life as an artist, experiencing the wonder of our planet.

Oil Painters of America, Society of Outdoor Painters, Plein Air Austin
My paintings are about a sense of place.  I have been fortunate enough to travel extensively.  I want to share with the viewer of my paintings my excitement about my surroundings.  Truly experiencing a place involves being quiet and evoking all the senses.  It is not my desire to record every detail, but to get the essense of the place.  My paintings are a record of my response to the patterns of shapes and the effects of light at a partiular moment in time.

James Wisnowski (Oil & Wateercolor)
His technique is a defined as a realist and a colorist, simplifying and emphasizing the light and color in order to communicate his vision of his environment as he sees it. James believes painting is a visual language with no need of verbal explanation. The images should express themselves through the painting. Living in Chicago for much of his art career has given him a unique feeling for the urban cityscape. Through his work, he shares the rediscovered beauty that may be lost or forgotten in every day subjects. He shows the uniqueness found in simple ordinary neighborhood scenes, which are often overlooked.  After relocating to California, the rocky coastlines, colorful fishing villages, and vineyards, as well as the urban scenes, continue to inspire his work. 

Lucas H. Wong (Oil, Watercolor, Pastel)
Inspired by the fascinating Cypress found in the beautiful Carmel area in California, Lucas recently started a new series in capturing these ever-changing and amazing trees.
Fusing Western oil painting and Oriental watercolors brush techniques, Lucas continues to push for new heights in his artistic styles.

Paul Youngman (Oil) 
Oil Painters of American (Signature Member), California Art Club
As a painter focusing on the wealth of subject matter in California and the West, Paul Youngman's paintings are real, rich in color and depth without being overdone, and his subjects have wide appeal.
Bringing a new dimension to landscape painting, the oils of Paul Youngman create an exciting experience for the viewer. His paintings have the essence of the early California Plein Air artist's view of color and changing light, but with a contemporary sophistication.

Lu Yu

Xiao Yu

(Antonina) Tonya Zenin
Associate Artist Member of California Art Club
Associate Artist Member of American Impressionist Society
Member of BACPAC (Bay Area Plein air Artists Club)
Contemporary landscape artist, Tonya Zenin was born in the Far East of Russia.
In addition to active painting with the BACPAC group, she pursued advanced studies in Plein Air Landscape at the California Academy of Painters with noted artist Brigitte Curt, as well as taking workshops and master classes with nationally known artists Brian Blood, Frank Serrano, Bill Davidson and Ovanes Berberian.

Tonya Zenin - Painting from life

Join Mailing List

No comments: