Attachment 1 - List of Trustees
James Price, Chair- PO Box 958, Carmel CA 93921
Sarah Brown, Treasurer- PO Box 3194, Carmel CA 93921
Karen Kadushin, Secretary- 2924 Sloat Road, Pebble Beach CA 93953
Demi Briscoe - 324 Country Club Drive, Carmel Valley CA 93924
Michael McMahan- PO Box 221580, Carmel CA 93922
Fred O'Such- PO Box 1826, Carmel CA 93921
James Sanders - 26410 Carmela Street, Carmel CA 93923
Perry Walker- PO Box 1118, Carmel CA 93921
The Sunset Cultural Center, a California non-profit public benefit corporation, ("SCC") was formed to operate and manage the Sunset Center, owned by the City of Carmel-by-the-Sea, California, ("City") for the benefit of the city, its residents and visitors, and the users of the center.
Among the important provisions of the management agreement are the following:
1. Responsibility for the entire Sunset Center is transferred to SCC on July 1, 2004, for an initial term of 3 years with additional options for future 3 year terms.
2. The city will continue to make up the shortfall between the full cost of operating the facility and the revenue generated from both the Performance Carmel series and rental to independent presenters.
3. Effective July 1 the current interim director of the center and selected members of the current staff will become employees of SCC.
4. sec is required to prepare and submit to the city quarterly and annual statements, and the annual statements are to be audited by an independent CPA.
5. Each year the sec is required to prepare and submit to the city a detailed budget for the next 3 fiscal years.
6. The agreement sets detailed performance criteria and provides remedies in the event SCC fails to meet such criteria, including early termination of the agreement.
7. The agreement provides an annual enabling grant, payable quarterly, in amounts set forth in the contract. In addition the city is to provide an advance of working capital and certain startup funds to cover the expenses of the formation of the SCC and other expenses incurred in the transition.
The principal activities of the SCC include the following:
1. Recruiting and hiring an executive director and other staff to operate the theater.
2. Managing and overseeing the operation of the physical facilities of the Sunset Cultural Center, including maintenance and repairs.
3. Expanding the paid use of the center through aggressive marketing and advertising.
4. Scheduling and booking users of the 718 seat theater, including establishing rental rates, priorities for historical users, and providing technical support to the users.
5. Producing the Performance Carmel series, including hiring the talent and advertising and otherwise promoting the performances.
6. Providing the theater, for up to 10 days a year, for use at no charge by the Carmel Unified School District, and for up to 5 days by the City of Carmel-by-the-Sea.
7. Providing meeting rooms to the City of Carmel-by-the-Sea at no charge, and to other community and cultural groups for a fee based on the SCC's out-of-pocket costs.
8. Managing the leasing of office space to the Bach Festival and Monterey Symphony and others.
9. Developing a central box office for all user groups.
10. Developing a website for the center.
At the formation of Sunset Cultural Center, Inc. in October of 2003, each of the then nine incumbent trustees contributed $100 to the sec to finance the incorporation.
The first significant assets received were a $105,000 start up grant and a $120,000 working capital loan provided by the City of Carmel-by-the-Sea on June 15, 2004.
SOURCE: State of California Department of Justice
Office of the Attorney General
Kamala D. Harris, Attorney General
Full Name: SUNSET CULTURAL CENTER
Type: Public Benefit
Corporate or Organization Number: 2554779