· In late November/early December 2016, then-Public Safety Director Michael Calhoun is notified by California Public Employees’ Retirement System of CalPERS review of his compensation.
· Later, a private citizen files a report of potential Retirement Benefits Fraud or Abuse with CalPERS involving Michael Calhoun’s compensation, specifically from March 1, 2016 to December 30, 2016. (City Administrator Chip Rerig commenced as city administrator on March 1, 2016.)
· In early January 2017, Taras Kachmar, Compensation Review and Analysis, CalPERS Employer Account Management Division, contacts the City requesting position title(s) during this period and a copy of the relevant pay schedules, copies of any employment contracts, labor agreements, MOUs, etc., Calhoun had with the City during this period (payroll reported by the City for Mr. Calhoun from December 2011 to December 2016 previously transmitted to Mr. Kashmar).
Employee Detail History Print
Employee Michael B. Calhoun
City Compensation December 2011-December 2016
Carmel-By-The-Sea Mail - Re_ Participant Name_ Michael B Calhoun CalPERS ID_ 4133025525_Redacted by L. A. Paterson on Scribd
Fri, Jan 13, 2017
Compensation Review and Analysis
CalPERS Employer Account Management Division
Request for position title(s) during this period and a copy of the relevant pay schedules copies of any employment contracts, labor agreements, MOUs, etc., Calhoun had with the City during this period
2015-062 Management Salary Resolution.pdf
Pay Schedule_At Will.pdf
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF CARMEL-BY-THE-SEA AUTHORIZING THE CITY ADMINISTRATOR TO ESTABLISH SALARY RANGES FOR CERTAIN MANAGEMENT POSITIONS
PAY SCHEDULE FOR AT-WILL CLASSIFICATION
EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2016
City of Carmel-by-the-Sea
PUBLIC SAFETY DIRECTOR/INTERIM CITY ADMINISTRATOR
THIS AGREEMENT is between the CITY OF CARMEL-BY-THE-SEA ("CITY"), and MIKE CALHOUN ("EMPLOYEE") and is dated this 30th day of November, 2015.
City of Carme1-by-the-Sea
PUBLIC SAFETY DIRECTOR
THIS AGREEMENT is between the CITY OF CARMEL-BY-THE-SEA ("CITY") and Mike Calhoun ("EMPLOYEE") and is dated this 16th day of August, 2013.
1. With or without a private citizen filing a Retirement Benefits Fraud or Abuse report with CalPERS regarding former Public Safety Director/Police Chief Michael Calhoun, CalPERS intended to review Calhoun’s compensation regardless.
2. In the MONTEREY COUNTY WEEKLY news article entitled, “CalPERS looks into pay for retired Carmel police chief,” former Public Safety Director/Police Chief Michael Calhoun states that he was acting assistant city administrator between March 1, 2016 and September 1, 2016 whereas Human Resources Manager Maxine Gullo, in response to a request from Taras Kachmar, Compensation Review and Analysis, CalPERS Employer Account Management Division, for Calhoun’s position title(s) during this period, states that Calhoun served as Public Safety Director/Interim City Administrator from November 30, 2015 to August 31, 2016.
3. With regard to Michael Calhoun’s compensation during 2016, evidence suggests that City Administrator Chip Rerig facilitated or condoned the City’s compensation and CalPERS Retirement benefits abuse with apparently no respect for taxpayers or the public at large.